Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Seize the Day

Sometimes I feel like my life is like water in a cup, slowly being poured out, bit by bit. It is a painless process, but it hurts to find that there is less water in the cup. Time flies by quickly. Yesterday was Christmas, only it wasn't yesterday. It was six months ago. One half of a year has gone by ... less water in the cup.

I wholeheartedly embrace the concept of living in the "now." It is wrong to let our eyes dwell longingly on past events, and it is equally wrong to always look forward as if better days are always ahead of us. Those who can live their lives now, embracing today with enthusiasm ... those are the folks who've mastered the art of living.

I know without a doubt that I'm right about this. Failing to embrace the present is a mistake, and a horrible one. No problem can be solved, no joy can be fully embraced, unless it is addressed in the present. This does not mean it's wrong to have fond memories. This does not mean it's wrong to look forward with expectation (check out the name of this blog). But it does mean that life is meant to be lived, not wished for, or remembered. Past and future are secondary aspects of life; the present is primary, and always with us. It must be handled with care, in much the same way that one must keep his eyes on the road while driving.

But I find it so difficult to embrace the "now." I am always looking forward, or always remembering. I find that my days slip easily into the past without having been lived with enthusiasm. Shame on me. I hope this is not true of you, but if it is, shame on you too.

Carpe diem, and damn your lethargy, your regrets, your unjustified inhibitions. Carpe diem, and live your life. Live it today, with certainty and well-founded joy. Tomorrow will take care of itself if you live today as it should be lived. And you'll see yesterday more clearly, for what it really was.

Carpe diem.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wikkid Person said...

I am co-supervisor of the Nerd Club at the high school where I work. I suggested that the head Dungeons and Dragons guy have "Carpe DM" put on a t-shirt, though it might result in people grabbing him all the time.

10:54 PM  
Blogger paula said...

thanks for writing that, anson. fear & regret are twin thieves. (i got a "fear is a thief" bumper sticker.) and living today well is our weapon against both. i've been working on the exercise of living mindfully. choosing things rather than letting them 'happen' to me (when possible). lots to work on and think about!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Wikkid Person said...

Important not to become busy, though. Busy is bad. Busy is "I have scheduled contemplation and unstructured innovation out of my life."

6:03 PM  
Blogger paula said...

whether your schedule is full or fairly empty, it's nice to feel as if you chose that, rather than having it 'happen to you'.

i agree about busy. most of the time, it's about eliminating. but when you say yes, you want it to be a choice, a yes, rather than an "oh boy, i guess i have to do this today" thing.

i have been practicing saying no. it's VERY hard for me.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home