Monday, April 04, 2016

Developing a New Narrative

I have missed writing this blog. Time flies by so quickly, and before I know it, months and years have passed. I've developed the terrible habit of thinking about writing instead of actually writing. And my thinking is not of the productive sort; it is essentially wondering what to write. This habit needs to be broken, or else I will make no progress as a writer, and probably not as a person either.

When I think of this blog, I imagine it becoming a place for people like myself who are interested in the history and aesthetics of African American people. These topics have become increasingly important to me over the last several years. I hope to spark some new discourse and challenge old ways of thinking. For example, many African Americans, when discussing our history, seem "stuck on being stolen." Their commentary focused on what Europeans did to Africans instead of what Africans did to survive. This is unhealthy and warps our concept of history. We need a fresh, active narrative that doesn't portray Africans as passive objects. I'm really looking forward to exploring this concept in the near future. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home