Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Perusing Pictures on Pinterest

Today was a fairly relaxed day at work, and I made it a priority to do some writing before going to bed.  Writing seems to be the only thing that really propels me forward, and at this point in my life, it's pretty clear to me that I need to do it on a regular basis with some sense of urgency.  I'm a teacher at heart, and I don't think I can find much fulfillment in work that does not involve teaching of some sort.  Writing helps me satisfy the teaching urge because when I write I share information. 

I've decided to pursue opportunities to discuss, explore, and question contemporary black aesthetics on a regular basis through writing.  As I mentioned yesterday, I am following developments in the natural hair movement, and this has rekindled my interest in promoting self-esteem amongst members of the African Diaspora.  We tend to see ourselves with unloving eyes. 

I spend some time this evening perusing photographs on Pinterest, and this helps me see what hairstyles and fashions are popular in black circles.  This research is particularly important to me since I have not lived or worked among any significant number of black people for over three years.  I feel as if I am out of the loop.
The Pinterest boards are filled with pictures of locs, twists, and textured afros worn by women with beautiful brown skin.  This makes me happy because just a few years ago, pictures of this sort were far more difficult to find.  Our attitudes are changing, and this is a good thing. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home