Sunday, October 26, 2014

Perceptions of Beauty

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  But one whose vision is impaired is unable to appreciate beauty.  For me, it has been helpful to take a step back from many of the traditional Western notions of beauty, and explore the aesthetics of other peoples.  I've found reading about West African aesthetic traditions to be particularly enlightening, and I'm anxious to have discussions about African history, philosophy, religion, and culture.  These disciplines all have an impact on perception. 

When people of African descent are divorced or estranged from all things African, there is stagnation.  I believe there is beauty in every culture and among every people.  But I have seen vast numbers of black people who have an aversion to being black, and only appreciate European concepts of beauty.  This is a slavish mentality, and one that is rooted in racism and self-loathing.  I have no objection to loving or admiring Europe, but this appreciation should not be at the expense of everything non-European. 

I seek a healthy balance, and I want to learn as much as possible about the history of my ancestors.  I want to learn about all of them, the white ones and the black ones.  I feel connected to the past, and I think that's a good thing as long as I understand it's not the most important thing.  The past does not determine my destiny, but a healthy understanding of the past can equip me to chart a better course for my future. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home