Saturday, December 01, 2012

My Purpose

Earlier this evening I listened to a podcast by an author/consultant that I know personally. She spoke at length about knowing one's value, and learning what one is called to do with the short time we have on earth. She and I have touched on that topic in the recent past, and I find it compelling. When I ponder my purpose, and wonder about the trajectory of my life, I come up with more questions than answers. I suppose that's fine, but I think those questions (and answers) should be clustered about a common theme. In other words, I'm confident that I should have some idea where my life is headed and where I want it to go, even if I don't know all the particulars.

Right now I'm not particularly happy with my professional life. I don't find the practice of law as fulfilling as I hoped it would be. Maybe this is just a rough patch, a temporary season of malaise or the onset of midlife angst. I really don't know. But I'll be 38 in March, and I truly hope to experience joy and satisfaction on a more consistent basis as I approach the age of 40. I'm guessing that upon knowing my value, and knowing my purpose in this world, satisfaction will come. But I often feel like time is running out.  Oh my God, life is short and moves along so quickly.

I've become a father since my last post. A little boy who everybody says looks like me. But when I look at him I see my wife's features in miniature. He's a beautiful, sweet child, and although he's close to 18 months old, it seems like he was born just a little while ago.  I've enjoyed fatherhood immensely and know that I'll continue to do so however quickly the time passes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home